Community

 

 

Historical Highlights of Saint John Jewish Community

         1858 – Arrival of Mr. and Mrs. Solomon and Alice Hart from England. Mr. Hart was a cigar maker

         1859 – Arrival of Mr. and Mrs. Nathan Green

         1871 – Arrival of Abraham & Israel Isaacs

         1873- Purchase of land for Green-Hart Cemetery

         1892 - Arrival of first Yiddish – speaking immigrants

         1892-1928 – Arrival of most Eastern European immigrants

         1898 – Dedication of first synagogue, the Ahavith Achim Synagogue on Carleton Street

         1899 – Founding of Daughters of Israel by Alice Hart with mandate to help needy women and children, many of them immigrants

         1906 – Dedication of Hazen Avenue Synagogue

         1919 – Dedication of Shaarei Zedek Synagogue – a merger of the two earlier congregations in this former Calvin Presbyterian church built in 1865

         1920’s – 1960’s – “Golden Years” for the Jewish Community

         1977 – Election of Samuel Davis, as Saint John’s only Jewish Mayor

         1984 – “Koom Ahaim Reunion”

         1986 – Opening of Saint John Jewish Historical Museum

         2008 – 150th anniversary of founding of Saint John Jewish Community

         2011 – 25th anniversary celebration of the opening of the Saint John Jewish Historical Museum

 


Home | What's New? | Community | Outreach Kits | Exhibits | Research | Links | Contact Us